Patagonia is an ecologically diverse region in South America, split between Chile and Argentina. Two rivers flow through Patagonia, the Colorado and the Barrancas Rivers. Due to its unique geological formation, Patagonia has some of the most breathtaking and picturesque mountains, glaciers and coastlines. It is truly an outdoor paradise.
Capital city:Argentina: Buenos Aires // Chile: Santiago
Region area:1,043,076 km2 // 402,734 sq mi
Population:1,999,540 people (1.9/km2 //5.0/sq mi)
Currency:Argentine Peso (ARG$) and Chilean Peso ($ or CLP)
Land Division:90% of Patagonia is located in Argentina, while the other 10% lies in Chile
Time Zone:Argentina Time- ART (UTC/GMT -3) AND Chile Summer Time- CLST (UTC/GMT -4)
Outlet: Type C/I
Speak the Language
Spanish is the official language of both Argentina and Chile
Hello- ¡Hola! (O-la)
Goodbye- ¡Adios! (AH-dee-ohs)
Thank you- Gracias (GRA-see-as)
Do you speak English?- ¿Habla inglés? (Ab-la in-GLAYS)
I (don’t) understand- Yo (no) entiendo (yo no en-tee-EN-doh)
Tipping Suggestions: Tips for Guides, drivers and restaurants are not included. Tips provide supplemental income, and, while not mandatory, are greatly appreciated. If the local teams have added to the experience, please reward them.
USD $4 per person/per day
USD $1 per person/perday
Restaurants (full service)
USD $1 to 10% of total bill
Where can I find information on travel safety? Check out the US Department of State's website for the most up-to-date information on safety while traveling.
How do you recommend preparing for the weather? Patagonia is known for its unpredictable weather (it's infamous for being very windy). So, packing layers is the best way to be prepared. In the summer, temperatures usually range from about 50°F to mid-70s in the day and can drop into the 40s at night. Because of the strong winds (that can reach more than 100mph), temperatures may seem colder. Shorts and t-shirts are great for warm days of hiking, but the nights and mountains can be quite cool! Long pants, warm upper layers and a windproof and waterproof jacket will be your best friend at the top of a mountain or on chilly nights, plus they protect your skin from the sun's harsh rays on this side of the planet.
Do you recommend travel insurance? While not required, we highly recommend all travelers get travel insurance for their trip to protect themselves from the unknown! Check out travel insurance options from our partner, worldnomads.com or from a provider of your choice.
How much should I pack? As we will be using shared transfers and spaces throughout our tour we recommend all travelers pack as lightly as possible. Please review our luggage restrictions below.
What does public transportation look like? There are taxis in the major towns in Patagonia (both in Chile and Argentina). The easiest way to get one is to ask your hotel or a restaurant to call one for you or go to the designated taxi stations. To travel across towns in Patagonia or across the border, buses are affordable and reliable. There is no Lyft or Uber available.
Do you provide any climbing gear? All the technical equipment will be included! Climbing rope, harness, belay device, carabiners, quickdraws, climbing helmet, climbing shoes, chalk bag and chalk, and crash mats.
Will we have an experienced guide? Your guides are local, trained and experts dedicated to sharing their knowledge with others. Many of them have been guiding climbing trips for over ten years. All of the guides hold full certification with the AAGM (Argentinean Association of Mountain Guides) and EPGAMT (School of High Mountain and Trekking Guides) - the highest level of guide training available in Argentina. This trip is operated by Fitz Roy Expeditions.
In partnership with The Cool Effect, 1% of your booking will be donated to reduce carbon emissions through community-based initiatives around the globe.